The Shaker Club

About Us: A brief history of The Shaker Club

Ground was broken for the building that became known as The Shaker Club on December 2, 1946, at 19101 and 19102 South Moreland Boulevard. It was completed on December 20, 1948. The architects who designed the building were Richard Hawley Cutting and Anthony S. Ciresi, and the builder was Keyes-Treuhaft Co. The building permit was issued to the Shaker Club Mutual Apartment Co., and the cost of the building was $1,485,000 and the foundation $15,000.

Lobby

The Cleveland Chamber of Commerce honored the building with a plaque in the lobby of 19201 which states “The Best Apartment House Building Erected in Cuyahoga County in the Year 1948”.

The Shaker Club Mutual Apartment Co. was sold in 1979 to Shaker Club Inc., an affiliate of Associated Estates, which converted the rental units to condominium ownership. The vast majority of these units are now owner occupied. The on-site Carousel Restaurant, now a social room with an operational kitchen, served residents regularly for another five years to around 1984/85.

South Moreland Boulevard’s name was changed to Van Aken Boulevard to honor William J. Van Aken, who served the city as Mayor from 1916 until he died in office on December 28, 1950. The renaming of the street and rapid transit line became official on April 23, 1951.